In Year 5, our Summer 2 topic is…
Would you rather settle a dispute with a game of pok-a-tok or go to war and fight?
Click here for the Topic Web (for parents).
In this topic, we will be focusing on the Ancient Maya civilisation and Central America. The children will learn about their culture, religion, homes, foods, sports and achievements etc.
Our topic assessment questions are:
- Why did the Ancient Mayan civilisation end?
- In ancient times, how might rich Mayans have lived differently to the poor Mayans?
- Can you describe/explain a Mayan religious ceremony/ritual/tradition?
- If you were a Mayan child, what (would you like or) are you likely to grow up to be?
- How do we know that the Mayans made sacrifices?
- Did the Mayans believe in God?
- What typical things did the Mayans eat?
Key Vocabulary Table:
Our Literacy Focus
This half term, we will be reading (and writing our own versions of) Warning Tales.
The text that we will be focusing on is: Rain Player by David Wisniewski.
To see the Weekly Timetable and Long Term Plan for Year 5 learning, please click the links below.
If you are isolating due to Covid, please visit your Showbie page daily to find new work and get feedback 🙂
We recommend that your child also regularly accesses the following learning platforms:
- Times Table Rock Stars
- Reading Eggs
- Purple Mash
- Top Marks (Hit the Button)
- Oxford Owl (free E-Books!)
- https://www.worldbookday.com/world-of-stories/ (free Audio-books!)
- BBC Bitesize (a brilliant learning resource!)
Click here to download a list of suggested reading books for Year 5 children.
Supporting well-being is super important. Here’s a great website to lots of free well-being activities…. https://www.elsa-support.co.uk/category/free-resources/
Stay fit and healthy with some sporty challenges with ASM! –> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3adMR45pFcwVUrii4WGKw