I would like to say hello to my new Year 5 children and parents/carers.
I am so looking forward to welcoming you all back to school.
Children start back at Dove Bank on Thursday 3rd September.
Click the link – Welcome to Y5 Booklet for important information to help ease the children’s transition from Y4 into Y5.
Mrs Ford will be also be sending out more information on what to expect soon, which I will immediately forward to you via email.
Rest assured children, your well-being and education is super important to us. Although teaching and learning may look slightly different, I am certain we are going to have a great year. I can’t wait to get to know you all properly.
See you soon,
When coming back to school, our Autumn 1 class topic is going to be…
The Ancient Egyptians – Were they as advanced as us?
To see a draft copy of our weekly overview of lessons please see – Aut 1 Weekly Timetable Sept 2020 Y5
This half term, Year 5’s creative topic learning will focus on the Ancient Egyptian civilisation.
We will be studying things such as: why the river Nile was so important, what everyday life was like, their religious beliefs (pharaohs and gods), how they respect and treat the dead and much more!
Our HOT topic questions are:
- Where is Ancient Egypt located?
- How long ago was the Ancient Egyptian civilisation (when did it start and end?)
- What impact did the river Nile have on the development of the settlement?
- Who was in charge and were these rulers respected by the people?
- How did the roles of women/men and rich/poor differ?
- Why were the pyramids built and did this link to their religious beliefs?
Our class novel is The Story of Tutankhamun and The Egyptian Cinderella.
What can you find out more about this famous Pharaoh? Also, can you compare the traditional fairy-tale with this alternative version?
Click here to download a list of other suggested reading books for Year 5.
To see the Long Term Plan for Year 5 learning this year, please click the link below 🙂
We recommend that your child regularly accesses the following learning platforms:
- Times Table Rock Stars
- Reading Eggs
- Purple Mash
- Top Marks (Hit the Button)
- Oxford Owl (free E-Books!)
- https://www.worldbookday.com/world-of-stories/ (free Audio-books!)
- BBC Bitesize (a brilliant learning resource!)
Here is a list of useful learning websites: