In Year 5, our Autumn 2 topic is…
Why did people commit crimes in Tudor times and what were the consequences? (History)
This half term, Year 5’s creative topic learning will include: the study of the famous Tudor monarchs, how they each ruled differently, and what life was generally like for the Tudor people.
There will also be a focus on Tudor crime and punishment and how it has changed from Anglo-Saxon times to the modern day. Other areas we will study include: housing, fashion, religion, famous Tudors and key events in the Tudor period.
Our HOT topic questions are:
- How long ago was the Tudor period?
- Can you name some famous Tudor monarchs?
- If you could describe a Tudor’s life, what would you say?
- What typical punishments did criminals face in Tudor times?
- How could you assess whether the consequences were having an impact?
- How would you compare Tudor crimes and punishments with Anglo-Saxon?
Our Literacy Focus
This half term, we will be reading (and writing our own versions of) ‘Defeating the Monster’ stories.
The texts that we will be focusing on are:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Web Wabbit by Lissa Evans
Can you think of any stories that you have read which have contained a monster who has been defeated?
Yes? If so, tell your teacher so we can share them with the class! 🙂
Click here to download a list of suggested reading books for Year 5
Use these online games (or app) to practise your mental maths skills:
Creative Topic Web – Click below
Year 5 Long Term Plan – Click below