Our Spring 1 learning enquiry going to be..
Could you survive being lost in the Amazon Rainforest?
This topic is amazing because it links both Geography and Science!
Geography Objectives –
- Name and locate a number of South or North American countries
- Know where the equator, tropics and Greenwich Meridian are on world map
- Know what the word tropics means
- Know the differences between living in UK and a South or North American country
- Know what is meant by biomes and their features.
- Label layers of a rainforest
- Know what is meant by deforestation
- Measure world temperature on a graph
Science Objectives –
- I can describe the differences in the life cycles of a mammal
- I can describe the differences in the life cycles of an amphibian
- I can describe the differences in the life cycles of an insect
- I can describe the life cycles of a bird and compare to other animals
- I can describe the life process of reproduction in some animals
- I can describe the life process of reproduction in some plants
HOT QUESTIONS –>
Why is it difficult to live in, or even explore, the rainforest?
How have the living things in the rainforest adapted to survive?
If you knew you were heading into the rainforest, what essentials would you need to pack?
Our Literacy Focus
This half term, we will be reading (and writing our own versions of) ‘Quest’ stories set in the rainforest. We will also be planning and writing persuasive arguments around the context of animals.
The text that we will be focusing on is:
Click here to download a list of other suggested reading books for Year 5.
If you are isolating due to Covid, please visit your Showbie page daily to find new work and get feedback 🙂
We recommend that your child also regularly accesses the following learning platforms:
- Times Table Rock Stars
- Reading Eggs
- Purple Mash
- Top Marks (Hit the Button)
- Oxford Owl (free E-Books!)
- https://www.worldbookday.com/world-of-stories/ (free Audio-books!)
- BBC Bitesize (a brilliant learning resource!)
To see the Long Term Plan for Year 5 learning this year, please click the link below 🙂
To see a copy of our weekly timetable please see – Aut 2 Weekly Timetable Sept 2020 Y5