Welcome to Year 4
Mrs Smith and the Year 4 children welcome you to our web page!
Our Spring 2 topic is ‘Was Edward the Confessor to Blame for the Events of 1066?’
Some key questions to consider:
- Why did the Battle of Hastings take place?
- What did the Normans bring to England?
- If we didn’t have the Bayeux Tapestry, would we really know what happened in October 1066?
- What was life like as a Norman soldier?
- Why was William the Conqueror a respected king?
- How did the Normans win the Battle of Hastings?
Please have a look at our Spring 2 topic web where you can find out more about this term’s learning:
Homework and Spellings
Homework is sent home every Friday and is due in the following Thursday. Please support your child with completing their homework. It is vital that learning continues outside of the classroom. You can find a copy of our Spring 2 homework menu below:
Spellings are given out each Friday and are tested the following Friday. Please support your child with practising them at home.
Year 4 will attend swimming lessons every Wednesday during the Spring term. Please ensure swimming kits are in school.
Please ensure that your child has their PE kit in school on PE days.
- In English, we will be writing defeating the monster tales based on Beowulf by Michael Morpurgo. We will also be writing non-fiction diary recounts in the role of a Norman king.
- In maths, we are focusing on fractions and decimals.
- Our science topic this half term is the water cycle.
Please ensure that your child is engaging in their reading book at home. We ask that grown ups write in their child’s blue reading diary at least three times before sending reading books back to school to be changed. Reading books are usually changed on Monday mornings however, children are welcome to read books from our classroom reading corner whilst they wait for a new reading book from the library.
What have you learnt? Take a look at this term’s knowledge organisers:
Take a look at our class curriculum here