Our topic this half term is…
Why isn’t everyone afraid of the dark?
Science: Light and dark & Seasonal Change (winter)
Knowledge organisers: Aut 2 – Knowledge Organiser Light and dark
History: Aut 1 – Old and new toys
What do you do when it is dark? What do you do when it is light?
Would you like to go out in the dark? What do you think you would see?
When do owls wake up and fly around? Why?
Explain to a friend what you would take with you on a night time adventure. What would you use to help you see?
How many different sources of light can you name?
Our class text:
Owl babies – Marin Waddell : Three baby owls, Sarah, Percy and Bill, wake up one night in their hole in a tree to find that their mother has gone. So they sit on a branch and wait… Darkness gathers and the owls grow anxious, wondering when their mother will return. How do you think the owls might feel?
How would you feel if your mum went out and you were not sure when she was coming home? Why? How does the dark make you feel? Have you ever been out in the dark? What helps you to see in the dark?
Other texts to support our learning:
Extra activities to try at home
Due to the Phonics Screening Check in the Summer term of Year 1, it is important that we use, apply and practice phonics often – play some super phonics games here: https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/Phase5Menu.htm
Play some great English and Maths learning games here: http://www.ictgames.com/
Can you design a torch? Draw and label it. What would it be made out of? Why? How would you make it light up?
Links to important and useful websites:
Times table Rockstars: http://play.ttrockstars.com/
Purple Mash: http://www.purplemash.com/sch/dove-st7
To see a suggested reading list for Year 1 children, click here: https://schoolreadinglist.co.uk/reading-lists-for-ks1-school-pupils/suggested-reading-list-year-1-pupils-ks1-age-5-6/
To see our Autumn 1 homework menu, click here: Autumn 2 Homework Menu
Key information for parents:
- PE kits should be in school and kept on pegs. These will be sent home half termly to be washed and returned
- Homework menus will be uploaded to Showbie. Please complete the starter section daily, and chose one task from the main or desert column. Work should be submitted/handed in on a Thursday for marking on Showbie.
- Weekly spelling tests will take place on a Friday, and new spellings will be uploaded to Showbie for the following week. Please practice daily (ensuring that your child understands the meaning of the word, too).
- Reading should be happening at home daily, and this should be recorded on Showbie. Reading books will only be changed when it has been recorded that books have been read twice. Reading books should be in school every day. Books will be changed on a Tuesday & Thursday.
- Water bottles should be in school and will be sent home each Friday.
- Practise count to 100, forwards and backwards as much as you can.
PE & Wellbeing Links:
Here are some apps that might be useful for your child’s mental wellbeing (please check that they are suitable and meet the needs of your child first)
If you have any questions, please email me on email@example.com
To see our Year 1 Topic webs, click below:
|Aut 1 – What was it like when your grandparents were young?||Spring 1 – What materials should the Three Little Pigs use to build their houses?||Summer 1 – Why are animals not like humans?|
|Aut 2 – Why isn’t everyone afraid of the dark?||Spring 2 – Why were Christopher Columbus & Neil Armstrong very brave people?||Summer 2 – Which birds and plants can we see in our playground?|
Year 1 long term plan: Year 1 Long Term Plan 2021-22 – website version
Thanks for visiting our page!
Mrs Harley, Mrs Mason & Miss Smart