Please complete the home learning activities on Showbie. Click here
Summer 1: This term our topic is….
Do you like to be beside the seaside?
Where would you like to go on holiday?
Where in the UK do we live? What is your address and postcode?
Which countries make up the UK?
Which seas surround the UK?
Have you ever been to the seaside? What can you find there?
Do we live near a seaside?
Extra activities to try at home
Phonics revision and games to play: https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/Phase5Menu.htm
Play some great English and Maths learning games here: http://www.ictgames.com/
Can you design a seaside scene? Which materials can you use? Can you describe your seaside using noun phrases and magic 3 sentences? Can you use the senses to describe what is there?
Our class texts
Every day, Mr Grinling the lighthouse keeper cleans & polishes his light to make sure it shines brightly at night. At lunchtime he tucks into a delicious lunch, prepared by his wife. But Mr Grinling isn’t the only one who enjoys it. Can Mrs Grinling stop the greedy seagulls stealing the lighthouse keeper’s lunch?
We will be reading a range of other books to help us learn about the UK, weather and seasons.
Our Science Topic is: Shall I wear my coat to the beach? (Spring and Summer seasonal changes)
We will be learning all about seasonal changes and weather during spring and summer.
For writing this term, we will be thinking about:
- Writing simple and compound sentences that have a capital letter, finger spaces and a full stop.
- Using adjectives in our writing (describing words) and expanded noun phrases – The little boy… The fluffy dog…
- Writing instructions
- Writing problem stories
- Joining two simple sentences using ‘and’
- Using coordinating conjunctions (and, so, but, because, or, if)
- Using ‘because’
- Counting forwards and backwards, to and across 100
- Number bonds to 10 and 20
- Place value and representing numbers beyond 50
- Weight and volume
- Length and height
- Forming letters and digits correctly
- Counting in multiples of 2, 5 and 10
- Multiplying and dividing
- Exploring tens and ones within numbers to 50
- Saying one more and one less than a number to 100
- Using our phonic knowledge to help us spell and read
- Lots more fun and exciting things!
Click here to see our Year 1 Long Term Plan 2020-21 Web Version
To see a suggested reading list for Year 1 children, click here: https://schoolreadinglist.co.uk/reading-lists-for-ks1-school-pupils/suggested-reading-list-year-1-pupils-ks1-age-5-6/
Please practise spellings, reading and times tables every day at home. Please complete 1 piece of homework from either the main and desert column of the menu each week. Homework must be uploaded to Showbie and it will be marked and new spellings will be uploaded on a Friday after school.
Here are some websites that you might find useful:
Log ins have been sent home. If you need assistance, please email me.
If you need anything then please email me.
Keep smiling, keep working hard, stay safe.
Miss Amison and Mrs Mason