Our topic this half term is…
Where would you like to go on holiday?
Where in the UK do we live?
Our class text:
This term we will be learning the story of The Light House Keeper’s Lunch. We will be using this text to see if we can solve problems that Mr Grinling and Mrs Grinling encounter everytime Mrs Grinling sends Mr Grinlings lunch down to the lighthouse.
Mrs Grinling and Mr Grinling has a problem with the pesky seaguls!
We will be re-designing and making our own seagull proof lunchboxes. What materials will you use to make it seagull proof? How will you design your lunchbox?
We will also be making lots of distusting sandwiches that could scare off the seagulls! We will then use the sandwich making lessons to write our own set of instructions and send it to Mrs Grinling to use later on to scare off the seagulls.
Task: Can you make a sandwich at home and then write instructions using these time openers? First, next, then, after and finally.
This term we will be reading stories from Mairi Hedderwick about Katie Morag.
We will look at poems and poetry and write our own poem about the sea!
In Year 1, we will be learning new sea songs and shanties.
Can you think of any that you can sing in class to your friends?
This term we will also be learning about our local history by learning about significant people and places around Kidgrove and Stoke on Trent.
We will be learning about Reginald Mitchell and his famous Spitfire used for World War 2.
We will be learning about Mow Cop Castle and we will also be visiting our local Church in Kidsgrove.
We will also be learning how to use compasses and have a go at using them around our school playground.
Task: It would be wonderful if you can have a go at finding your street or road name on this map of Kidsgrove. Click here to open the map of Kidsgrove or google search on Google Map.
Can you remember your postcode? Or, your door number? Do you know where you live?
Here are knowledge organisers to help you with some keywords that we will be learning and their meaning.
Extra activities to try at home
Due to the Phonics Screening Check in the Summer term of Year 1, it is important that we use, apply and practice phonics often – play some super phonics games here: https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/Phase5Menu.htm
Play some great English and Maths learning games here: http://www.ictgames.com/
Can you design your house? what materials would you use to build your house? How would you build it? Why would you use that material?
Links to important and useful websites:
Times table Rockstars: http://play.ttrockstars.com/
Purple Mash: http://www.purplemash.com/sch/dove-st7
To see a suggested reading list for Year 1 children, click here: https://schoolreadinglist.co.uk/reading-lists-for-ks1-school-pupils/suggested-reading-list-year-1-pupils-ks1-age-5-6/
To see our Summer homework menu, click here: Summer 1 Home Learning Menu
Key information for parents:
- PE kits should be in school and kept on pegs. These will be sent home half termly to be washed and returned
- Homework menus will be uploaded to Showbie. Please complete the starter section daily, and chose one task from the main or desert column. Work should be submitted/handed in on a Thursday for marking on Showbie.
- Weekly spelling tests will take place on a Friday, and new spellings will be uploaded to Showbie for the following week. Please practice daily (ensuring that your child understands the meaning of the word, too).
- Reading should be happening at home daily, and this should be recorded on Showbie. Reading books will only be changed when it has been recorded that books have been read twice. Reading books should be in school every day. Books will be changed on a Tuesday & Thursday.
- Water bottles should be in school and will be sent home each Friday.
- Practise count to 100, forwards and backwards as much as you can.
PE & Wellbeing Links:
Here are some apps that might be useful for your child’s mental wellbeing (please check that they are suitable and meet the needs of your child first)
If you have any questions, please email me on email@example.com
To see our Year 1 Topic webs, click below:
|Aut 1 – What was it like when your grandparents were young?||spring 1 – Can you find your way home?||summer 1- Where would you like to go on holiday? WHere in the UK do we live?|
|Aut 2 – Why isn’t everyone afraid of the dark?||Spring 2 – Why were Christopher Columbus & Neil Armstrong very brave people?||Summer 2 – Which birds and plants can we see in our playground?|
Year 1 long term plan: Year-1-Long-Term-Plan-2021-22-website-version
Thanks for visiting our page!
Mrs Guney, Mrs Mason & Miss Smart